Message sent from:

Special Educational Needs Information Report


How does Crosby School know if children need extra help?

We know a child needs extra help if:

  • They are not making expected progress
  • Concerns are raised by a parent or teacher

What does the school do if they have concerns about a child?

  1. Discuss the concerns with parents
  2. Gather assessment information
  3. Carry out further assessments if necessary
  4. Ask for advice from external agencies (for example the local authority behaviour support team)
  5. Initiate meetings with parents and external agencies

What should I do if I think my child has special needs or a disability?

  1. Talk to your child’s teacher
  2. Talk to our family liaison officer (Mrs Donna Betts)
  3. Talk to the school’s special needs co-ordinator (Mrs Porter)

How do I find out about my child’s support?

  1. Talk to your child’s teacher
  2. Talk to the special educational needs co-ordinator (Mrs Porter)

How does the school decide on what support my child needs?

  1. Discussions with parents
  2. Discussions between the class teacher and the special educational needs co-ordinator
  3. Specific assessments

What sort of support might my child receive?

If it is decided that your child needs extra support they might receive one or more of the following:

  • Extra adult support in class
  • A smaller reading group
  • Additional clubs or activities
  • A specific programme (for example, speech therapy)

How will I know how my child is doing?

  • Teachers are available for a quick word at the end of each day, appointments can be made through the school office if you would like a longer meeting
  • Twice yearly parents’ evenings
  • Annual written report
  • If your child is identified as having special educational needs or a disability, you will be invited to more regular meetings

How can I find out more information?

Hit enter to search